In this blog, the folks at Capterra dive into the idea of free vs paid Project Management Software. Here at #PMChat we get it, we’re a volunteer community…every dollar (or the lack thereof) matters. However, we urge you to read the full blog post and consider Capterra’s 5 thoughts when making your decision on a PM platform…
- Affordable PM tools as an alternative
- “a Gartner research report—Are Low-Cost or Open-Source Options for Project Management Tools Right for You?—says “PM tools are often available for free trials or even free usage for a small number of users, and they may meet the PM needs of lower-maturity users.”
- Hidden costs of free PM tools
- “open-source “does not always yield considerable (total cost of ownership) advantages over proprietary alternatives.”
- Innovation in open-source PM tools
- “Most examples of innovation have been in new leading-edge markets such as big data, mobile, cloud, web development, and machine learning rather than in more-established areas like PM.”
- Proprietary PM software is Easy to Use
- “Open-source was never a great fit for our team, anyway. It’s best suited for users who are comfortable with coding and troubleshooting. We’re not meant to be cooped up behind a keyboard…”
- Try out affordable project management software
- “give everyone the opportunity to try (software) on before buying.”
Check out the full post here: Is It Time to Upgrade From Free To Affordable Project Management Software? – Capterra Blog.
Here at #PMChat, we are huge fans of Capterra. They write insightful reviews of software, provide great resources for selection, and share thoughts to help you make wise choices. We are not compensated in any way (that comes from our Store) from Capterra and have zero official relationship with them. When we believe in folks, we recommend their stuff!